All the photos posted on my blog I have personally taken and are my private property, unless otherwise noted.
Please do not use photos for any purpose without approval.


Friday, July 11, 2008

Why!?!?

Last week was Ellie's best friend, Gavin's birthday party. We missed it because Elyza was sick. But she got him something REALLY special, something he really wanted, but before he even knew he wanted one she picked it out for him. It is a Webkinz, the snake. It was ordered ahead of time and then he was exposed to Webkinz (by Ellie) and he desperately wanted one... good thing we already ordered one!

So today we were going to have a special party for him at our house. We were going to decorate, have cupcakes and dinner, hot dogs, maybe even some potato chips! And play pin the tail on the Webkinz.

Last night I noticed that Ellie was in and out of the bathroom, she said she was trying to poop. Then she came and got her dinner plate and tried to bring it into the bathroom. I asked her again what was going on, was she having a hard time pooping or was she having a lot of poop, etc. She told me, when I try to poop I keep peeing and it hurts really bad when I pee.

Because she has urinary reflux and has had 4 urinary tract infections in the past I knew she probably had an infection. I got her to pee in a cup, it took about an hour to get about 1tsp, but when she did it was clearly cloudy and had blood it in. So then I knew she had an infection.

I called her pediatrician who said that as long as she wasn't overly uncomfortable and she didn't have a fever we could wait and see her in the morning. This is what I decided to do.

That was until she started crying, saying she hurt and her side hurt and pointed to her kidney area. It was also her left side which is the side her reflux was on.

So I brought her to the ER, and well, as I suspected ahem, KNEW she has a UTI and I am glad I brought her last night. It was actually quick for an ER, about 2 hours.

When I got there they asked me why and I just said because she has a UTI, I did not say I think she has one. At first I think the guy thought I was just full of myself at first, but then when I told him why (her history and current symptoms) and when her urine sample came out pink they knew I was right.

And even the doctor was kinda like, well, we have to go with procedure (like waiting for the lab etc) but we pretty much know what is wrong. They gave her a dose of antibiotic last night and then a RX.

When we got home around midnight I gave her some motrin for the pain, she was saying she hurt alot. By 4am she was puking and had a fever over 103. She still have a fever at 6am even with more meds and has thrown up 3 times in 2 hours.

I am glad we brought her in because at least she's had one dose of antibiotic and they already have the urine sample and the culture started just in case this antibiotic doesn't work. Once she spent 2 1/2 days in the hospital on the wrong antibiotic via IV (because they just use one that typically works for UTI's and typical bacteria until they have the culture back which takes like 2-3 days.) Then she spent another 4 days in the hospital on the right antibiotic (that was 3 years ago.)

So send her some prayers and good vibes. She wanted to have the party still, but then told me she wanted the volume off on the TV. So I know she could not handle it. Their party will hopefully happen tomorrow once her antibiotics kick in.

No comments: